Sunday, March 17, 2013

Day 1 - Sunrise surfing and forgetting postures

This morning I was out on the ocean blissfully floating on my surfboard.  As I waited for the next set of waves, my body floated and my thoughts floated.

I began wondering when I would come back to this beautiful spot in Costa Rica.  I just finished an amazing yoga & surf retreat with Vanessa King and Peg Mulqueen and today was supposed to be my last day here. As I ticked through the upcoming months, I realized it probably wouldn't happen in 2013.

Then it hit me, I'm here now.  Why not stay?  

So I'm staying another 14 days.  I return to Haiti on April 1st after I will have spent the entire month of March here in Costa Rica.

My time in Costa Rica is about resetting and recharging for my time in Haiti.  I am teaching yoga there and about to commit to an extended stay.  My first two months there helped me to see that I need to feel whole and rested to put my best into the experience in Haiti.

So I'm staying in Costa Rica on the Osa Peninsula to recharge, surf and practice yoga.  

I'm also using this time to get started on an in-depth discovery of a disciplined Ashtanga Hatha Yoga practice.  My goal is to practice 5-6 days a week and to post something about my practice here everyday.  

Today I practiced from about 10:30am until 1:00pm.  I wouldn't call what I did disciplined exactly- but it was more disciplined than past self led practices.  I intend to do as much of the full primary series as I can while I am here.

Today I realized that I don't actually know the whole series and so need to study up a bit.  At the end of my practice I realized that I forgot to do Ardha Baddha Padmottanasana, all of the Prasarita Padotanasana series, and that I don't even have a clue about what to do after Supta Kurmasana....tonight I research and tomorrow I try again. 

Off for more surfing....see you tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment