Thursday, March 21, 2013

Day 5 - Spring Equinox, Same Postures

Today was a challenge.

I'm tired and it was hard to motivate myself to do the Ashtanga practice.

This morning I dilly-dallied in cutting and eating my fruit, and then decided I needed to bring some fruit to the neighbors. By the time I got to my mat this morning, I didn't feel I had the time to do the Ashtanga practice justice, so I did a Sivananda practice. I love my Sivananda practice and it was nice to take it a little easy this morning.

After I practiced I went out and surfed for 2 hours and had a harder time on the board than I have all week. The front of my board kept going under and catching, so got tumbled into the white water again and again. I ended up catching some good waves, but phew I was feeling a little beaten up.

I may have been feeling beaten up, but my commitment to the new Ashtanga practice was still intact.  I ate a second round of fruit after surfing and went to the yoga deck to do the Primary Series.  It was a good steady practice.  I didn't use the cheat sheet and remembered all of the postures in the right order except Baddha Konasana.

I timed myself a bit more closely today and it took me 30 minutes to get to paschimottanasana, and then another 45 to get to kurmasana and another 45 to get to the end of the closing postures.  So it is a solid 2 hours it's taking me to get through the series, and I am still skipping vinyasas.

I feel good about committing to a 2 hour daily practice for a while, and I imagine it'll get a bit faster when I don't have to think about which posture comes next. So I'll have time to add in more and more vinyasas as I feel moved to do so.




No comments:

Post a Comment